Finding the Best Used Box Trucks for Sale
Purchasing a new box truck can be expensive and finding a used one from an unknown source is risky. When you are in the market for the best-used box trucks for sale, you have to be careful where you shop. Finding a trusted source is key to maintaining your budget and purchasing a vehicle that is well-maintained.
The Cost of a Box Truck
When you are in the market for a box truck, you are inevitably going to look at new ones to gauge pricing. Everybody wants to be able to purchase the newest and best box truck, but you will soon see why most people opt for used. Many models can be priced anywhere from $20,000 and more! That typically isn’t in the budget, especially if you are starting a new business or running a charity.
By looking through used box trucks, you are going to be able to spend far less than $20,000 and still have a nice running vehicle. In fact, the best way to save money is to search through cheap box trucks for sale. If you aren’t particular about what type of truck, you might be able to find a decent model for just a couple thousand.
Places to Find a Used Box Truck
There are many reputable places you can purchase a used box truck from, but you must be careful. Here are some choices to consider:
The best place to start would be a moving truck company. Places like U-Haul offer box trucks for under $3,000. Despite being heavily used, U-Haul maintains each box truck at regular intervals to ensure that they are going to be long-lasting and durable. Pair that with the low prices and you can trust the purchase you are making.
There are other moving truck companies to consider as well. Penske offers used box truck sales as well as Budget.
Those truck rental companies use international box trucks and freightliner box trucks for the most part. If those are the brands you are looking for you are in good shape.
In addition, more times than not, these trucks weren’t used to carry heavy equipment, but just some household goods. This means they are generally in good shape when resold.
Car Rental Companies
Another option would be to look at car rental companies like Enterprise. Many of them offer a commercial line so they typically have left-over box trucks available for sale.
eBay Autos doesn’t just offer used cars for sale, but you’ll also find a nice variety of used box trucks. They make searching your area easy with handy location functions or you could search by price. Some sellers prefer to auction their truck and take the highest bid while others will give you the chance to buy outright.
It is very easy to lose money while shopping on eBay and you’ll need to be careful. When you are purchasing a box truck for sale on eBay, here are some tips to follow:
- Research the recommended price for the truck you are looking at.
- Read through the seller’s feedback.
- Narrow the search as accurately as possible to find the right truck for your needs.
- Contact the seller in advance if you have questions.
- Insist on a CarFax report.
- Have a mechanic inspect the truck.
- Don’t get caught up bidding too high. Quit at the highest number you had in mind.
- Factor in all the delivery expenses when determining what the cost will be.
Online classifieds are also available through Craigslist. This site organizes everything by location and type of sale so you can find what you are looking for easily. Prices are usually negotiable, so you can generally get a pretty good deal.
Sometimes people will offer barter for vehicles. If you have a service that you can trade, you might be able to save even more money. In addition, if you are willing to travel a little, you can search Craigslist in other locations to see what is available.
When you are looking to purchase a box truck on Craigslist, always follow these simple tips:
- Meet in public places and have someone tagalong for protection.
- Ask for a test drive after you verified the registration and insurance belong to that person.
- Assume the person is looking to scam you out of money.
- Never meet with cash on hand. Instead, have them follow you to the bank after the deal has been agreed on.
- Trust your instincts.
- Ask for all the vehicle’s records.
How to Get the Best Deal on a Used Box Truck
When you are looking for used box trucks for sale, you need to know how to find the best deal. Here are some tips to help you find what you need.
Know What You Want
It is important that you know exactly what kind of truck you need. This will help you to be satisfied when the deal is over. For example, there are various classes to box trucks. Trucks come in a variety of 8 classes, so it is wise to know which one will fit your needs the best.
Know all the Information Up Front
It is important that you obtain all the information about the vehicle before purchasing. This would include the vehicle specs, maintenance history, price the truck is worth, vehicle features and a history report of any damage.
Do Your Research
Spend time researching prices of similar models in the area. Then, when negotiating with the seller, you will be able to back up your offer. This is why it is also wise to have a mechanic inspect the truck. If there is major work that needs to be accomplished, that cost should come off the sale price.
Things to Examine When Purchasing a Box Truck
To make the best purchase possible, you need to be sure that all these points are inspected before you finalize an offer:
- Look at the truck only in daylight. Even when you inspect the truck in a well-lit lot, you can miss imperfections.
- Check the fluids on level ground.
- Check the body-panel joint and any openings for fit. Run your hand along the bottom of doors to check for rust. Ensure that the body will attract a magnet.
- Inspect the roof to see if it is raised. This could indicate rust underneath.
- Check the tires for signs of leakage and tread wear.
- Inspect the coolant fluid and be sure it is greenish in color.
- Examine the air filter for dirt.
- Start the engine and listen for thuds or knocks.
- Put the truck in drive and see if the emergency brake will hold it.
- While running, put a rag over the tailpipe outlet. Make sure there is pressure.
- Test all the switches and functions on the truck.
- Inspect the motor for rust.
- Take a test drive lasting at least 10 minutes. When you are done, turn the engine off, allow it to cool and then start it again.
- Attempt a panic stop in a safe place to see if the brakes are working properly.
- Take it for a drive on a rough road. If you can get the front end to bounce, ensure that it doesn’t bounce for more than three times. Otherwise, this could indicate worn shocks.
- Be aware of odometer tampering. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Reasons to Purchase a Used Box Truck
Depending on the reasons you need a box truck, you might be able to utilize it for more than one purpose. If this is the case, you will get more value for the money. Consider these options as well:
No matter what business you are in, delivering the product puts you ahead of the competition. People have busy lifestyles and the convenience of having something delivered is worth more to them. Purchasing a truck up to 24-feet means that you have the ability to deliver even the largest items.
If you own a business that offers services, you might be making house calls in the future. That is going to require you to tote your equipment around with you. Whether you are a landscaper or handyman, owning a box truck can be a huge asset to your business. On top of that, you can easily lock up all that expensive equipment to keep it safe while you aren’t using it.
Have you ever thought about opening a new food truck in the neighborhood? Something as small as a 14-foot box truck can be the great start to a dream kitchen. What a great way to turn a box truck into an investment.
Sports Teams or Bands
There is no question that sports teams carry a lot of gear with them. Most times, it is important to transport that equipment on a tight budget. By purchasing a used box truck, you can save money while providing reliable transportation for the next game or concert.
No matter what your reason is for purchasing a used box truck, it is important to get the best deal possible. Saving money does you no good, however, if you purchase something that is going to break down. Take your time and do your research. Invest in a quality vehicle that will last a long time.